Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Mississippi Pot Roast


I've held out for years.  I've read the hype, I've listened to the testimonials, I've wondered whether this recipe was "all that."  Because I tend to be a contrarian, I decided since everyone else in America has cooked, eaten, and blogged the Mississippi Pot Roast, why should I?

But at long last, I took the plunge.  Super easy with only 5 ingredients, placed in a crockpot on low, and dinner is, for all intents and purposes, ready when you get home.

1 (3 lb.) chuck roast
1 packaged au jus gravy mix
1 package (dry) ranch dressing mix
1 small jar pepperoncini peppers
1 stick butter

Now to those long, complicated, confusing recipe instructions. Not!

In your crockpot, add a tablespoon or so of the liquid from the peppers. Place the roast into the crockpot.  Sprinkle the au jus mix and dry ranch dressing mix over the roast. Add a few of the peppers (or the entire jar if you want!).  Top with the butter.  


Set the cooker to low and cover. Let cook for 6 - 8 hours on low.  


Remove roast from cooker to a large platter and shred.  You could certainly enjoy at this point, but why not take a few minutes and make some gravy!?

Strain the liquid. You should have about a cup. In a medium skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 1 T. of butter until it bubbles.  Add 1 T. all-purpose flour and stir, cooking for 1 minute.  Slowly add in the strained liquid, stirring constantly. Lower heat to low and cook until the gravy thickens.

Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles or rice.  Don't forget to enjoy some of those peppers!


Was it equal to the hype and those millions of Pinterest pins? My 8 and 5-year-old grandsons said it was the best "meat" I've ever cooked....even better than HOT DOGS.  Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me.

1 comment: