Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Dining Out Southeast: JoJo's Po'Boy Shack


I've passed this quaint restaurant literally dozens of times.  Either the timing for a meal was wrong, or they were closed, or we were in a rush, but finally, everything aligned last week and we were able to enjoy a late lunch.

The menu has a variety of po'boys such as shrimp, oyster, fish, chicken, and roast beef.  They also offer Lousiana delicacies such as red beans and rice, crawfish etouffee, and gumbo.

For a look at the entire menu, click HERE.

I really wanted to try their gumbo as an appetizer, but on the day we were dining, they were already sold out, so we chose the Cajun Fried Okra served with ranch dipping sauce. The okra was perfectly fried, served hot and crispy with just enough Cajun seasoning.  The dipping sauce was great as well.


Although we usually try to order different menu items so we can try more things, we both were in the mood for popcorn shrimp!  Sweet Harold ordered the Lunch Basket version with fries and cocktail sauce.  ($11.00 which included a drink)


I asked if they could prepare mine Cajun style and ordered aioli as my dipping sauce.  When served, I was provided a cup of seasoning so I could add as much or little as I preferred.  The aioli was delicious!  This "basket" held a LOT of food.  Everything is cooked to order, so be prepared to wait just a bit.  The fries were run of the mill shoestring fries (not my favorite type, but that's my personal preference). The fries were served hot but could have been a lot crisper.  



We'll be back again to try some of their other offerings and hopefully, I won't miss a bowl of gumbo next time!





2 comments:

  1. Sold out must mean it's pretty good. Hopefully, you'll get to try that gumbo on your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do hope so. Hopefully, we'll have cooler weather soon.

      Delete