Friday, August 26, 2022

Dining Out Southeast: Old Hickory Steak House, Columbus, MS


We're on a weekend road trip (it's my birthday weekend!!) and tomorrow we'll be judges for a BBQ rib competition here in Columbus, Mississippi.  

We arrived about noon and spent the afternoon exploring the Historic Downtown District and browsing in antique stores.  The afternoon got away from us and by late afternoon we were starving.  

We had noticed the Old Hickory Steak House as we drove by earlier in the afternoon and decided we'd give it a try.  The restaurant opens at 4 p.m.  When we arrived at 3:55, there was already a line forming outside the door!


Yes, it's rustic.  The menu is extremely simple.  You've got a choice of steak, baked potato, salad, and garlic bread.  That's it.  You want chicken?  Salmon?  Pasta?  Then The Old Hickory Steak House is not your restaurant.  Here's the menu.



However, when the steaks are this flavorful, tender, and delicious, you don't need anything else. The steaks are actually cooked over an open flame.




The salads are basic iceberg lettuce salads with a tomato wedge.  Sweet Harold chose blue cheese dressing and I had ranch.  There was a basket of club crackers and saltines to accompany our salads.


Now, back to the steaks.  Sweet Harold had the large ribeye cooked medium rare.  I had the small ribeye cooked medium.  They were both expertly cooked and perfectly seasoned.  Neither of us used salt or pepper and it never occurred to us, after our first bites, to even consider any steak sauce.  

I had a first with this steak as well.  I had eaten half of my steak before I took one bite of my baked potato!  It was so very tender and delicious.  The baked potato was also a star (when I finally got around to eating some).  Cooked just to that level of soft and fluffy without getting mushy.  

I can honestly say that this is one of the best steaks I've ever eaten.  Anywhere.  If you're within driving distance of The Old Hickory Steak House, please make the drive and enjoy one of the best steaks you'll ever eat.


My favorite dining companion!




1 comment:

  1. We live in Mississippi. I'll have to see how far Columbus is from us. Thanks for the tip on a good place to eat.

    ReplyDelete