Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Orange Cinnamon French Toast with Fruit


If given a choice, I will almost always choose a savory breakfast over a sweet version. I'll eat the occasional waffle, but rarely if ever pancakes. Sweet rolls are okay, but sausage balls are better.

See where I'm going here? On the other hand, my son has always loved French toast. During his early teenage years, he occasionally asked me for permission to make French toast for himself. Being a firm believer in teenagers learning how to cook, I agreed.

I will never forget the first time I went into the kitchen after he prepared his breakfast. I wish I had taken a picture of the sight that greeted me. Almost every bowl, measuring cup, measuring spoon, skillet, and dish towel had been used. That led to lessons in cleaning up as you go, using only the appropriate kitchen gadgets and tools needed, and wiping down the stove and countertops.

We laugh about that morning now, but at the time, it was an entirely different story!

Now he makes this version for his two sons. I can't wait until they start learning to cook. I hope he will remember his first time solo in the kitchen.

With the recipe I'm sharing today, you won't have to worry about the messy stovetop and skillet. The French toast is baked in a 9 x 13 baking dish, and all the ooey-gooey goodness is in one spot. This is an excellent recipe to double for a crowd or halve for a smaller group.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

4 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (you may also add a pinch of nutmeg if you'd like)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 to 8 thick-cut slices of French bread

In a bowl, combine the melted butter, honey and cinnamon. Pour the mixture into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan. Use a spatula to spread the sauce evenly and to coat the bottom of the pan.

In a shallow bowl, beat eggs, orange juice and salt with a wire whisk. Dip the bread slices, one piece at a time, into the egg mixture and leave for a few seconds to soak in the eggy goodness. Press the slices down gently into the liquid with a fork. Place the pieces into the prepared baking pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Top with additional honey (or maple syrup) and orange zest.

I served the French toast with grilled sausage links and a bowl of fresh fruit. For a different version, when you remove the slices of toast from the baking dish, flip them so that the honeyed side is facing upward on the plate. Top the French toast with the fruit and drizzle with a bit of honey.




No comments:

Post a Comment