Sunday, December 31, 2023

Dining Out United Kingdom: Ownies, Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland

 

We arrived in Carrickfergus with plans to visit the ancient castle there, but we decided with needed some strength before exploring.

We walked down the street in search of a place that struck our fancy.  We both knew we wanted local food at a neighborhood place that appeared to have a lunch crowd.  Ownies met all the criteria.  As you see from the picture above, they've been around since 1846.  I'd say that was perfect for our lunch date.

When we entered, we were greeted and taken to our table.  Once there, we were given menus and instructed when ready to order to go to the bar area to order and to pay.  

Here's the menu!


Yes, Sweet Harold had his Guinness and I chose a Harp Lager.



I have fallen in love with the different variations of Vegetable and Barley Soup that the restaurants serve.  Each is slightly different, but the same.  This was another delicious bowl and the bread and butter were both served warm.


Now here comes the plot twist!  For this meal, I was the one who enjoyed the Fish and Chips and Mushy Peas!



Another large piece of crunchy, lightly battered fish, plenty of chips, and the local delicacy of mushy peas.  I'm not a fan of green peas in the first place so mushy isn't something I look forward to....so Sweet Harold ate those.



Of course, I added malt vinegar to my fish!


I have decided that I am a fan of the "brown sauce."  The best description I can give you is a mix of A-1 with a little soy sauce or maybe Worcestershire added.  It's great for dipping my chips!


Sweet Harold selected the Full Ulster Fry with bacon, sausages, fried egg, soda bread, potato bread, pancake, and mushrooms.


He is well-known as a huge breakfast lover, so this was right up his alley.  He did mention that he wished he had some potatoes to go alongside, so I shared my chips (fries).

A painting of those cranes I admire was hanging beside our table.


When I went upstairs to use the facilities, I was surprised at how neat the landing was!

Here's my choice of Guinness !


I immediately felt like Alice in Wonderland when I spied this chair on the landing!


and look at the women's lavatories!


I believe this may be our favorite place to dine so far on our trip!




No comments:

Post a Comment