Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Bear Creek Sausage and Chicken Gumbo


While grocery shopping recently, I was on a mission to try new (to me) products.  I had noticed this line of soups before, but hadn't really looked at them.  I purchased a couple to have on standby in the pantry.

Today was a cool rainy day and I decided to make the Gumbo version.


I realize that with all convenience products, this mix had the potential to be really yummy or a not so much meal.  I had Conecuh Sausage on hand in the fridge so I knew I'd definitely add that to the pot.  I also had a rotisserie chicken on hand so the shredded breast meat was also an addition.

1 package Bear Creek Gumbo Soup Mix
8 cups water
1 lb. Conecuh Smoked Sausage (sliced and browned)
2 - 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 cups sliced okra

I followed the package directions and brought 8 cups of water to a boil in a 5 quart Dutch oven.  When the water boiled, I whisked in the Gumbo Soup Mix and lowered the heat to a simmer.

Next, I added in the browned sausage and cooked chicken.  While the gumbo simmered, I sliced the okra and added that to the pot.

After 15 minutes of simmering, the gumbo was ready to eat!  I turned off the heat and covered the pot.  Then.....we worked on preparing our taxes.   After about 45 minutes, I rewarmed the gumbo (which had thickened nicely!) and toasted a loaf of French bread which I had topped with olive oil.


If you like a thinner broth gumbo, ladle it up as soon as the 15 minutes are up and dig in!  If you like a thicker gumbo, let it rest a bit so the rice can soak up some of the liquid and enjoy it what way.  Make yourself happy!


Our final take on this product:  

Timesaving?  Definitely.  
Was the flavor on point?  We thought it was delicious!  
Would I buy again and add in sausage, chicken, and okra?  Yes!





  

1 comment: