Monday, July 15, 2024

Bastille Day 2024: Dijon and Cornichon Stuffed Eggs

 


I strayed from my tried and true stuffed (deviled) egg recipe for this batch.  A Bastille Day celebratory meal calls for a French influence, does it not?

As always, I cooked an extra egg for my serving platter.  I go against all conventional methods of making deviled eggs in that I got tired of not having enough filling for the whites.  So several years ago, I began boiling an extra egg.  I finely chop up the extra egg (yolk AND white) and that gives an abundance of eggy filling for those other 12 whites!

I also have learned THE way to have perfectly hard cooked eggs:  The Instantpot!  Place the trivet in the inner cooker, add the eggs, pour in a cup of water.  Set the InstantPot to sealed mode.  Cook for 5 minutes, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then remove the eggs to a colander.  Run cold water over the eggs and the shells will slip off with little effort.  Perfectly cooked eggs!

You'll need to cook 7 eggs.  When the eggs are cooked and shelled, slice 6 of the eggs in half lengthwise.  Place yolks into a small bowl and place the whites on your egg plate.  

Finally chop up the remaining egg and mash the yolks into the eggs with a fork until you have a crumbly egg mixture.  Spoon in a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise.  Please consider trying Duke's if you haven't!  Spoon in a teaspoon or so of Dijon mustard.  Add a few grinds of black pepper and 1/4 t. salt.  I finely chopped one cornichon (sweet dill pickle) and stirred everything together.  You want a smooth and creamy filling so add a little more mayo or mustard to get that consistency if needed.

Spoon the filling into the egg whites and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment