Saturday, July 13, 2024

Blackstone Griddle: Blistered Shishito Peppers with Garlic Aioli

 


A few months ago, I planted a shishito pepper plant in a pot and placed it on my smaller deck off our den.  I had never heard of these peppers before and was intrigued as to their origin and their flavor base.

These small and delicate peppers originated in Japan.  They have a very thin skin that allows them to cook quickly.  Contrary to what I originally thought, their flavor is very mild.  Online information advises that maybe 1 in 10 peppers may have some heat, but it won't be as hot as a jalapeno.

Here are the pepper plants just as they are beginning to bloom and form small peppers.



This one little pepper plant has, to date, produced over 20 peppers!

To get them ready to cook on the Blackstone griddle, I washed and dried the peppers, placed in a small bowl, and drizzled with olive oil.  A half teaspoon of sea salt and then a thorough toss to make sure all the peppers are covered with the oil and salt.


The Blackstone griddle was preheated on high heat.  It won't take long to blister these peppers.  The olive oil that's on the peppers is enough to cook them.  Lower the heat to medium high at this point.


I continued rotating the peppers around on the griddle as they begin to blister and cook.  These took about 5 minutes.


Prior to beginning to cook the peppers, I prepared a garlic aioli.  This is super easy and takes about 5 minutes to make.

Here's the recipe:

1/3 - 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Duke's!)
1 garlic clove, pressed
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 t. sea salt
1/8 t. black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Remove the peppers from the griddle and place on a serving tray and serve the aioli on the side for dipping.


You can add a little more sea salt, if desired.  These are such a great appetizer or to serve as a nibble at a party.








2 comments:

  1. I've had them before. I need to try growing them in my new raised beds.

    ReplyDelete