Monday, March 15, 2010

Thai Soba Noodles with Grilled Shrimp and Cilantro


I've been wanting to make this recipe for months. It was the cover recipe for Food and Wine March 2010. Every time I'd look through this magazine, this recipe called for me to try. So, a rushed trip to the International Market during the lunch hour for soba noodles and tamari sauce and here's the result.

9 oz. soba noodles
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 T. low sodium soy sauce
3 T. tamari
1 t. agave syrup (maple syrup will work as an alternative)
2 large shallots, thinly sliced and separated into rings
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 t. finely grated lime zest, plus 2 T. fresh lime juice
1 pound large shrimp, shelled & deveined
salt
2 scallions, finely chopped on bias
¼ cup chopped cilantro
lime wedges for serving

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. In a medium bowl, combine 2 T. of the oil with the soy sauces, tamari and agave syrup. Add the noodles and toss.

In a skillet, heat 1 T of the oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels to drain. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic to the paper towels.

Light a grill or heat a grill pan. In a bowl, combine the lime zest and juice with the remaining 1 T. of oil. Stir in the shrimp and season with salt. Grill the shrimp over high heat, turning once, until glazed and just white throughout, 3 minutes.

Arrange the noodles on a large platter. Sprinkle with the scallions, cilantro, crushed red pepper and the fried shallots and garlic. Arrange the shrimp on top and serve with the lime wedges alongside.

Give this one a try.  Took less than 45 minutes from beginning to table.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Lolly, my Lolly. As soon as I get an ink cartridge, I'm printing this out.

    Now, what is tamari? I have two asian markets nearby, one within walking distance. The only other things I don't have in the house is shrimp and cilantro. I need to get more of both. And freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will you make that for me this weekend? please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lane, it's a darker, smokier soy sauce. The International Market here had a Kikoman version. Who knew? I had never heard of it. Also, I've learned that good old maple syrup can be used as a substitute for the agave nectar. When you make this, please let me know what you think, okay?

    Ander, we'll try to make that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will let you know. We had sushi last night, so I may be a few days before having more Asian food.

    ReplyDelete