Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pimento Cheese

When I think of Southern food, a few always immediately come to mind. BBQ (the type that oinks of course!), catfish, grits and PIMENTO CHEESE. Any true Southerner would just as well do without than buy that goop that's sold in the plastic container at the grocery store.

This recipe makes about four cups and will last a week in the fridge. Yeah. Right. I was in a Pimento Cheese craving mood this afternoon so here's the result.


1 1/2 cups mayonnaise (only Duke's in my kitchen!)
1 (7 oz.) jar diced pimento (drained)
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. finely grated onion
1 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 (16 oz.) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (shredded)

Stir together the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in cheese. 

Now make a nice sandwich, eat with some crackers or do like me and just get a bowl and a fork. Seriously....how easy is that for simple goodness that makes you smile?

4 comments:

  1. can you make it without mayo, lolly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you could use miracle whip. I'm not sure anything could be substituted for mayo and keep it a true pimento cheese. I'll look through some cookbooks I have from years ago and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a quick Google search I found this alternative. If you try this recipe, let me know.

    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Pimento-Cheese-No-Mayonnaise-353669

    ReplyDelete
  4. great - i love cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete