Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bastille Day 2009

Here's a brief description of Bastille Day just in case you've never heard of it and have no idea what the big deal is:  The Bastille was a prison in France that the kings and queens often used to lock up the people that did not agree with their decisions. To many, it was a symbol of all the bad things done by the kings and queens. So, on July 14, 1789, a large number of French citizens gathered together and stormed the Bastille.  Yes, I come from a long line of rabble-rousers...it's in my genetic makup.

Just as the people in the United States celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence as the beginning of the American Revolution, so the people in France celebrate the storming of the Bastille as the beginning of the French Revolution. Both Revolutions brought great changes. Kings and queens no longer rule. The people rule themselves and make their own decisions.

Due to Bastille Day being in the middle of the week this year, and I have this pesky job to be present at today...we'll celebrate our Bastille Day this weekend.  But for old times sake, here's a few pictures from Bastille Days we've had fun at in the past.






1 comment:

  1. I'm going to use your summation of Bastille Day when I get my own classroom. Don't worry, I'll give you credit! :D

    ReplyDelete