Saturday, July 3, 2010

Southern Style Fried Green Tomato BLT


Remember last week when I was gushing over my love of pimento cheese?  Now I'll move on to gushing over my love affair with fried green tomatoes.  I can remember as a little girl my grandmother taking me to her garden to pick some of the first of the season's green tomatoes.  Within minutes, we'd be downstairs in her kitchen with those tomatoes battered in corn meal and frying happily away in bacon grease in her favorite cast iron skillet.  Good memories. 

This is my twist on a BLT.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

1 lb. sliced bacon
2 - 3 firm green tomatoes
cornmeal mixed with salt/pepper to taste
Romaine lettuce
White Remoulade Sauce*
Sourdough Bread

Slice tomatoes and dust with corn meal mixture.  Set aside.  Fry bacon until crisp and remove from skillet to drain.  In reserved bacon drippings, fry green tomatoes turning from side to side until golden brown.  Remove from skillet to drain.

Butter bread, then layer Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and drizzle with sauce. Place another layer of lettuce, top with bread and spread butter on outside of slices. Grill until bread is golden brown and crunchy.  Top with additional sauce if desired.

*White Remoulade Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Creole mustard
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. garlic-flavored Tabasco
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup green onion tops, finely sliced
Mix well and chill until ready to serve.

5 comments:

  1. I think our green tomatoes are ready for you to make this one night this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't comment on your Facebook post because I'm not on your friend's list, but I just wanted to say that I love fried green tomatoes and this recipe sounds amazing. Thanks for posting. I'm going to pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome. And I'd love to add you to Fleur de Lolly's friend list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't heard of it yet in Texas but sounds great, ( especially like your sauce) so you're still pretty cutting edge here with this recipe

    ReplyDelete