Saturday, November 6, 2010

Crabmeat and Shrimp Fritters with Creole Tomato Dressing


I am an LSU supporter 365 days of the year except the day they play Bama. The Bama boys lost to a better team today, but we enjoyed some S. Louisiana recipes while watching the game.

My son renamed these little bundles of goodness "Tiger Bait." Be warned:  they are addictive.

Creole Tomato Dressing:
1 small Creole tomato, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic
2 T. Zatarain's Creole Mustard
3/4 T. Creole Seasoning

Crabmeat and Shrimp Fritters:
1 Cup (1/2 package) Zatarain's Crispy Southern Hush Puppy Mix
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 T. chopped chives
1/2 t. Creole seasoning
1/2 cup water
1/4 pound claw crabmeat
1/4 pound cooked, peeled, small shrimp, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup thawed frozen corn
peanut oil for frying

For the dressing:  place all ingredients in food processor; cover. Process until smooth. Spoon into small bowl. Cover.  Refrigerate at least one hour to blend flavors.

For the fritters: Mix hush puppy mix, onion, garlic, chives, and creole seasoning in large bowl. Add water; mix just until moistened. Gently stir in crabmeat, shrimp and corn.

Heat oil in deep fryer at 375 degrees. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls a few at a time. Fry 3 - 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve fritters with dressing.


From Louisiana Cooking Magazine

8 comments:

  1. Oh, sweet Mary Mother of God, I think I know what Jake and I are going to make in a few days when our tummies are better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Report back when you do! Hope you both feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what I did with that lump crab meat was turn it into a crab and mirliton casserole. I completely forgot I was going to make this and I am disappointed in myself, because I really, REALLY want to make this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Je salive just a y penser. Pinned, and will try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is a Creole tomato?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a link that explains
    https://www.neworleans-food.com/creoletomatoes/funfacts.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness I'm sitting here drooling. Loving seafood like I do I'm going to pick up some crabs & shrimp. Then pig out big time. :) thank you for this awesome recipe.
    Carol Luciano

    ReplyDelete