Monday, November 15, 2010

Sweet Potato Supper


I purchased Nigella's latest cookbook a few days ago.  I honestly can't think of any money I've spent lately that was as well spent.

The earthiness of the sweet potatoes with the salty goodness of the bacon paired with the succulent asparagus is a match made in heaven.  I love each of these ingredients independently, but together?  I was skeptical.  But then we couldn't stop eating.  Seriously......if I had been myself, this could have been embarrassing.  I doubled the recipe but I'll post it here as Nigella wrote it.  A million thank yous to Nigella!

2 sweet potatoes, washed and dried, but not peeled, cut into quarters
16 slices smoked bacon, snipped
8 ounces asparagus tips
6 cloves of garlic
a few sprigs of thyme or 1 t. dried  thyme
3 T. canola oil
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425 F.  Arrange the sweet potatoes chunks in a large roasting pan and then drop in most of the bacon followed by the asparagus tips and garlic cloves, and finally, the remaining bacon.

Sprinkle with thyme and pour the oil over.


Bake for 30 minutes then turn the sweet potatoes over and bake for another 30 minutes.  Let everything cool  little, you'll only burn your tongue otherwise, before dividing between 2 plates, strewn (or not, your choice) with salad leaves, and sprinkling with some salt or chili sauce, or both as your mood dictates.


No comments:

Post a Comment