Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Alabama Snow

In Alabama we go into panic mode at the mention of snow. We empty store shelves, pray that the power stays on, make sleds out of whatever we can find & for a few days our lives come to a complete stop while we marvel at what most of the country takes as a matter of course for many months of the year. Our plows are behind mules laying out corn & okra rows, not getting snow off streets. Rock salt is used for its intended purpose of freezing ice cream, not pouring onto concrete steps to keep us from busting our behinds. I love that for a few days we’re all 10 years old again and act that way.

4 comments:

  1. Your pictures and videos were great! When we rarely have snow days here we cherish them just as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girly! See you this weekend!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lines regarding the plows and rock salt and I am so jealous of the snow that you guys have gotten. We got some slush the other night, but it was even gone by morning (Brandon was hoping for a snow day). I loved your pictures and your videos. I'm glad you guys were able to enjoy the snow!
    I was talking to someone about how big the Auburn football boys were after the game and I told everyone it was the fried chicken, fried okra, and greens they are fed down south; I then had to explain to everyone what okra looked and tasted like. It was an interesting conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I feel like we're on a different planet! But every geographic location in the country has their own specialties. It's so much fun learning about the differences in how we cook and eat.

    ReplyDelete