Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What was the first full meal you ever cooked?

I was probably 13 or 14 and I remember pestering my mother for weeks for permission to cook supper for my parents and myself.  My mother was not a hands on teacher in the kitchen.  She preferred to have her kitchen to herself and just call us to the table when the meal was ready.  But I had lurked enough and watched enough to believe I could do it on my own. 

I will never understand what came over the poor woman to decide on that particular day to say all right to my begging.  She was probably hoping that one meal would get it out of my system and I'd leave her alone.

But all my lurking and watching paid off with pan fried pork chops, creamed potatoes and fried okra with a nice pan of cornbread on the side.  That was, however, the only meal she ever let me cook in her kitchen. 

So how about you?  What was the first meal you ever cooked?

8 comments:

  1. HA it was a chicken and broccoli casserole made with Pepperige Farm breadcrumbs, frozen broccoli and a can of soup! I called my gram to ask her for a recipe because I wanted to learn to cook. That was my first success. As for meat and sides and stuff I guess that would probably have been something with chicken too. You eat a lot of chicken when you are broke. -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I don't even remember? I know I was helping at supper time by the time I was in my teens, but as for a complete meal? Probably after I moved out and I don't know what it was.

    Non cooking would have been egg salad in my teens. Or tuna salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure it was meatloaf, baked potatoes and frozen peas. Not sure how old, but I was the oldest of 6 kids and I can remember Mom telling me what to do while feeding a baby. I was probably 10, and I still make that meal about once a month ____ years later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing I remember cooking was a cherry pie for Grandpa Ralph when I was 4! As for a whole meal I believe it was stuffed green bell peppers when I was 10, or something like that!:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cooked desserts, cakes from a mix, brownies for the time I was really small. I branched out into pancakes and French toast. I remember at some point I made Christmas Dinner, inspired by Julia Child. We had to by wine to marinate the beef for Boeuf Bourgignon and it was a powerful thing in the fridge for a couple of days. I don't remember what I fixed with it but I do remember I hand wrote a menu - even then I needed a menu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies for taking the time to respond to our first question of the New Year. There will be more to come. Marian, it's ALL about the menu. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw this question and had to respond!

    My mother made sloppy joes with Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup. I felt confident enough as an 8th grader to attempt this...I was so very proud of myself
    Brown and drain ground beef, add one tablespoon of ketchup and one tablespoon of mustard. After mixing this into the beef, add the gumbo and one can of water. Simmer and serve over warm hamburger buns. I also made a "dessert" with canned pear halves. I topped each half with a tablespoon of mayo, shredded cheddar cheese and a cherry. I think about cooking this meal every time I eat canned pears! ****Jennie****

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was 10 or 11 and made spaghetti and meatballs. It was all scratch made because I remember having to fish out the bay leaf that the recipe called for and being a bit grossed out by the residue left from rolling the raw beef in my hands.

    ReplyDelete