Fleur de Lis

Fleur de Lis

Follow by Email

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Braised Red Cabbage with Apples


This was the perfect side dish for our Oktoberfest meal. Perfect use of apples three ways:  cider, cider vinegar and fuji apples.   Thanks Epicurious.com

1 garlic clove, smashed
3 T. unsalted butter
2 lb. red cabbage, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 Gala or Fuji apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider
1/2 t. caraway seeds
2 whole allspice (optional), crushed
1 1/2 T. apple-cider vinegar

Cook garlic in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add cabbage, apple, cider, caraway, allspice (if using), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.

Add vinegar and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.



2 comments:

  1. Apparently, we share the same good GERMAN HERITAGE! When I roast a goose for Christmas dinner, I always make red cabbage on the side. Nothing similar to this, other than the vinegar... I add brown sugar... the next time I dig out the recipe, I'll send it to you! NAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nan. I'd enjoying having that recipe. I love cooked cabbage.

    Lolly

    ReplyDelete