Thursday, October 6, 2011

Braised Red Cabbage with Apples


This was the perfect side dish for our Oktoberfest meal. Perfect use of apples three ways:  cider, cider vinegar and fuji apples.   Thanks Epicurious.com

1 garlic clove, smashed
3 T. unsalted butter
2 lb. red cabbage, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 Gala or Fuji apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider
1/2 t. caraway seeds
2 whole allspice (optional), crushed
1 1/2 T. apple-cider vinegar

Cook garlic in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute. Add cabbage, apple, cider, caraway, allspice (if using), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 15 to 18 minutes.

Add vinegar and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.



2 comments:

  1. Apparently, we share the same good GERMAN HERITAGE! When I roast a goose for Christmas dinner, I always make red cabbage on the side. Nothing similar to this, other than the vinegar... I add brown sugar... the next time I dig out the recipe, I'll send it to you! NAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nan. I'd enjoying having that recipe. I love cooked cabbage.

    Lolly

    ReplyDelete