Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fresh Apple Cake




My long time friend Juanee gave me the recipe for this beauty. I  made one cake for a meal with friends last Saturday and it disappeared. Quickly. I made another one Tuesday night. Another disappearing act. You want to make your family and friends happy? Bake this cake!

Fresh Apple Cake

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 cups self-rising flour
3 cups peeled, chopped apples (whatever kind you like best, I used Fuji)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. cinnamon

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 stick unsalted butter (NO MARGARINE)

Mix oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add flour a little at a time. Mix in cinnamon.  Fold in apples and pecans. Pour into well greased and floured bundt pan. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Topping: Combine brown sugar, milk and butter in saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Pour hot glaze over hot cake. Leave in pan for 2 hours then carefully release onto cake plate.


.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you,thank you,THANK YOU!It looks delicious.Can not wait to try!Have you ever substituted butter or coconut oil for vegetable oil?Oh,and does it matter if the butter is salted or unsalted?Any way,Thank you!!!I am so baking this today.This is an appley kinda day.Chilly,woodstove is on,snow flurries,Christmas music,all in Novemeber.THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoyed the cake. I've always used vegetable oil. Always use unsalted butter in baking. Let me know how it turned out for you!

    Lolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this cake it was delicious will be one of our favorites

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question. I have all purpose flour, not sure if its self rising. Should I add baking powder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would suggest first, simply taste the flour. All purpose flour will have a flat taste. No salt, no nothing. Self-rising flour will definitely have a "taste." If you're still not sure, I would be very careful adding baking powder to a cake recipe, if it IS self-rising and you had more leavening, the cake could easily rise about the edge of the pan! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope this finds you well during pandemic, can't get flour only have self ring, lovely recipe! I don't have fresh apples only canned fruit so is it possible to sub applesauce? or drained fruit? Have you tried this or do you have another recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before making that many changes to the recipe, I'd save this recipe until you can get fresh apples! I would not substitute with canned fruit or applesauce.

    ReplyDelete