Monday, April 1, 2013

Slow Cooked Southern Green Beans


Growing up, I never liked green beans.  Then as an adult, I suppose my taste buds changed enough that I thoroughly enjoy them now.  I know the healthy way is to lightly steam them.  I also know on the other end of the spectrum is the "Green Bean Casserole" version.

It's not time yet for the fresh picked from the garden beans, so I used canned beans for this dish and doctored them up a bit.

3 cans Italian Style green beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
1 t. chicken bouillon granules
Freshly ground black pepper

In a large sauce pan, add beans and water to a boil.  Add chicken bouillon granules and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. 

Let the beans cook until most, if not all, of the water has evaporated.  Add a few grinds of black pepper.  Taste during the cooking to see if any additional seasoning is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment