Sunday, May 12, 2013

Chocolate Chess Pie


Chess pies are a staple in almost every Southern kitchen's recipe bank.  I had never eaten or baked a chocolate version though.  But honestly, don't tell anyone, but I could have eaten this entire pie.  By myself.  Warm out of the oven.  I had planned on making whipped cream to go on top, but I couldn't wait to try a bite and when I did, I knew I couldn't wait.  Can you tell I'm going to be baking another one of these pies soon? 


Pastry for 1 9-inch single crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 square (1 oz). of unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten well
1 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. salt


Heat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a 9 inch pie pan with crust and crimp edges decoratively.    Refrigerate until needed.


Combine the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Cook, stirring often, until the chocolate and butter melt and you can stir them together into a smooth sauce, 5 to 7 minutes.  Remove from the heat, add the sugar, and stir well.  Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt, and stir to combine everything evenly.


Pour the filling into the pie crust and place the pie on the bottom rack of the oven.  Bake until the pie is puffed up, fairly firm and handsomely browned, 35 - 45 minutes.

Place the pie on a cooling rack or folded kitchen towel and let cool for at least 10 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.


This recipe comes from my most favorite pie cookbook:  Southern Pies by Nancie McDermott 

No comments:

Post a Comment