Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chicken and Spinach Manicotti


After last week's success with the stuffed pasta shells, I wanted to make some stuffed manicotti. How about a chicken and spinach combination? I believe that sounds perfect.

2 - 3 bone in chicken breasts
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I put mine in the salad spinner!)
16 oz. ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 t. minced garlic
1 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
2 cups shredded Mozzarella (divided)
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups Alfredo sauce
1 large box of manicotti (cooked according to package directions and drained well)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, poach the chicken breasts in the chicken broth or stock until done. Remove from liquid and allow to cool. Gently shred chicken. I cooked several more chicken breasts than I needed for this recipe so I would have some extra to use in another recipe.


In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, spinach, ricotta, egg, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the mozzarella.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pour the Alfredo sauce into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish and make sure it's evenly spread around the bottom.


Carefully fill the manicotti. Yes, I tried a spoon and that was a disaster. And I have NO patience for piping bags. By the time I filled a bag repeatedly, I could have these little tubes of pasta filled and in the oven, so I went with my very clean hands. If you want to use a piping bag, you have my permission (and admiration!).


Continue to fill the manicotti and place them on top of the sauce in the baking dish.


When you're finished, sprinkle on the remaining mozzarella and cover with foil.  


Place in oven for 30 minutes or so until the sauce is all bubbly. Remove the foil and return to the oven for 5 minutes of so until the cheese browns a bit.  


If you have any remaining filling left over, you can bake it in a casserole dish and have a chicken and spinach casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment