Monday, December 2, 2013

Calhoun's Restaurant in Gatlinburg, TN


Sweet Harold and I ran away from home this Thanksgiving weekend. We traveled about 4 hours northeast to the Great Smoky Mountains and stayed in Gatlinburg. Our Thanksgiving night meal was Calhoun's.  

Located directly on the parkway and within easy walking distance of many major attractions, we settled in for a lovely evening. Of course, they offered the traditional turkey and dressing and sides, but we have had our fill of those items and ordered from the menu.

I started out with a Cucumber Rain Martini: Rain Organic Cucumber Lime Vodka, Cucumber, Just-Squeezed Lime Juice, Sugar, Fresh Mint, and Fresh Basil. The server told me the extra portion was a Thanksgiving present from the bartender. I enjoyed every drop.


We started out with Fried Green Tomatoes as our appetizer. I know, I know. I order these all the time. BUT I like to compare how different restaurants prepare them. These were piping hot and perfectly crunchy. The dipping sauce was a simple combination of (I believe) mayo/mustard and a little hot sauce.


Sweet Harold chose the fried mountain trout with mashed potatoes and cole slaw as his side items. The trout was prepared properly with a great crunch and he gave thumbs up to the sides.  Doesn't the trout look delicious?


And, once again, I saw a grilled pork chop on the menu and I looked no further. There is a micro-brewery on premises and the pork chop was marinated in the red ale. Here's the menu description: “Ale“ Pork Chop Marinated in olive oil, mustard, garlic and Cherokee Red Ale. Topped with Worcestershire butter. Now who WOULDN'T order that? Look at those lovely grill marks. It was cooked perfectly as well.  I chose mashed potatoes and Spinach Maria. I don't know who their Maria is, but she knows how to cook spinach.


Service was prompt and unobtrusive. We thanked the server well for working on Thanksgiving night.  

1 comment:

  1. We eat at Calhoun's when we're in Knoxville. There are three--on the river, on the hill, and the one with the big fireplace! We like the pretzel appetizer with beer cheese and/or honey mustard. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete