Friday, September 26, 2014

Tri-Color Slaw with Oil and Vinegar Dressing


When making slaw, I almost always thinly slice the cabbage and use a mayo based dressing.  Talk about going in the opposite direction!  I certainly did with this one.  

Tri-Color?  Where did that name come from you ask?  

Green = green cabbage
Red = red onions
Orange = carrots from the garden

This time I used the food processor to speed up the process and to give a completely different texture to my slaw.  It was really surprisingly tasty even though so completely different than what I normally make.

For the slaw:
4 cups finely chopped green cabbage
1/2 finely chopped red onion
1 finely shredded carrot

Place all the veggies in a large bowl.

For the dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil*
1/3 cup white wine vinegar*
1 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 t. celery seeds
1 t. Dijon mustard

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Slowly pour over the vegetable mixture and slowly stir to combine the dressing with the slaw.

Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. 

*The common ratio for oil and vinegar for a salad dressing is 3:1.  But I love vinegar so I always add more.  You should consider that when making this dressing.  You may (or may not) want to cut back on the vinegar a tad.

No comments:

Post a Comment