Monday, September 29, 2014

Warm Lentil and Potato Salad


This was my salad portion of the Oktoberfest meal.  I had never cooked with green lentils before and they are now my most favorite legume.  Green lentils remain firm after cooking, unlike brown lentils, and hold up nicely in this salad.

1/2 cup dried French green lentils
28 oz. small red potatoes, halved or quartered, depending on their size
5 bacon slices
3 T. olive oil
2 large shallots, finely chopped
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves
2 - 3 T. red wine vinegar
2 t. whole grain Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Bring lentils and 4 cups salted water to a boil in a heavy 2 quart saucepan over medium high heat.  Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 - 25 minutes or just until tender.

Meanwhile, cook potatoes in boiling salted water to cover for 15 minutes or just until tender.  Drain lentils and potatoes.

Cook bacon in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat 6 - 7 minutes or until crisp.  Remove bacon and drain on paper towels.  Crumble bacon when cool enough to handle.  Reserve 2 T. drippings in the skillet.

Add olive oil to hot drippings in the skillet and heat over medium heat. Saute shallots, celery and garlic in hot olive oil mixture for 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and mustard.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Gently stir in lentils, potatoes, bacon and parsley.

From Southern Living October 2012

2 comments:

  1. I made this to bring to a fish fry party, and it was very good. I left out the bacon, so my vegetarian friends could enjoy it too. I'll bet it's even better with bacon. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the salad! Thanks for letting me know. :)

    ReplyDelete