Saturday, May 2, 2015

Kentucky Hot Brown Burgers


I've made Kentucky Hot Brown sandwiches for years.  I love the delicious combination of turkey, mornay sauce, tomatoes and bacon.  I've made open faced versions, the original sandwich, and even sliders.  But this year, I decided to try my version of a Kentucky Hot Brown Burger. 

You may use ground turkey and form your own burgers, but I used prepackaged Butterball 1/4 lb. each turkey burgers.  Make sure you cook the ground turkey until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees to be safe.

I seasoned the burgers and the fried potato bites with Rimshot Bacon Salt.  It definitely added a great smoky bacon flavor.

1 lb. ground turkey, shaped into 4 burgers
1 t. vegetable oil
4 slices Swiss cheese
Cooked bacon
Sliced tomatoes (I used Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise)
Salt and pepper

In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the oil.  When it is warmed, add the turkey burgers, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and cook 4 - 5 minutes on each side until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. 

Top with Swiss cheese. 

Toast buns and top with burgers, sliced tomatoes and bacon. 

2 comments: