Thursday, August 13, 2015

Dining Out - Michigan - St. Ignace Truck Stop, St. Ignace, MI

We had gotten up very early, toured the locks at Sault Ste. Marie, drove to Whitefish Point to have some time at Lake Superior and to visit the Shipwreck Museum and then headed South. It was mid-afternoon and we were getting hungry. Now when I see a sign that advertises BOTH Homestyle Cooking and Family Dining in the same spot...well, the decision is made.

Follow this link to read an article about this little gem in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  This is a truck stop so there was a lot of breakfast menu items listed as well as sandwiches and full meals. The dessert offerings were very enticing.

Service was fast, attentive and professional. Our server gave us directions to The Dunes where we were able to go out and wade in Lake Michigan before going on our way.



I ordered a cup of the broccoli cheese soup and thank goodness, the "cup" was this large bowl. I would have been very disappointed if I had only had a cup. I ate every single bit of this delicious cheesy, broccoli filled soup. No broccoli cheese soup I have ever made came close to this version. One of my favorite dishes on the entire trip.


Once Harold heard me order soup, he quickly turned the menu over to the listings for soup. He didn't want to be left out, it seems. He decided on Chicken and Dumpling Soup. I had to sample (for blogging purposes, of course!) Very few dumplings, but other than that, a very rich broth with lots of carrots and celery. Tasty.


And finally, right as we were about to leave the Upper Peninsula area, we ordered the Whitefish Basket. There was lots of pepper in the breading which really appealed to my Southern seasoned taste buds. The breading was light and crunchy. I'm not a fan of heavy beer battered fish because I feel you lose the taste of the fish in all the batter. The usual suspects of fries, side of slaw, lemon wedge and cup of tartar sauce filled up the basket.  

Of the perch, walleye and whitefish I tried on this trip.....whitefish may slightly edge out the walleye as my favorite. But that perch I had back in Erie was very good as well. I don't think I'd ever be able to choose my favorite of those three.


If you're traveling up I-75 North, pass by the chains and the fast food spots and stop in for a meal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment