Monday, September 28, 2015

German Cole Slaw


I have had an epiphany. I have learned the secret to having crunchy slaw and a slaw which doesn't get watery and dilutes the dressing, but more on that in a minute.

If you don't like mayo-laden slaws (read: fat laden), this is the one you'll need to try.  

Now the secret.  Salt draws water out of vegetables. I know when I make tomato pies, I salt the tomatoes and let them drain. When I make eggplant parm, I salt the eggplant slices and let them drain. So.......this time I chopped the cabbage with the food processor, placed the chopped cabbage in a strainer and then added a liberal dose of salt and tossed it to coat. In about 30 minutes, I began to squeeze the cabbage by hand and let it drain through the strainer.  TWO CUPS OF LIQUID drained from one small head of cabbage.  The cabbage was extremely crunchy, even the next day.

1 small head cabbage, outer leaves and core removed
salt
1/4 cup whole grain mustard
2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 t. celery salt
1/4 t. celery seeds
1 T. caraway seeds

Chop the cabbage and place in a large strainer. Add salt and toss to coat. Let cabbage rest for about 30 minutes and then squeeze the cabbage to remove as much liquid as you can.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Place drained cabbage in a large bowl and pour the dressing over the cabbage and stir to combine.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment