Sunday, October 4, 2015

Cajun Butterbeans with Andouille Sausage


I'll admit, I am not a butterbean fan.  Pintos, yes. Red beans/black beans yes, yes, yes. But Harold Lee does enjoy this type of bean. My goal is to be able to cook them like his mama did for him. I continue to try and usually cook them after the holidays when I have a ham hock to add to the pot. But I had some andouille sausage left from making the gumbo yesterday and decided I'd dice some of it up into bite sized pieces and go ahead and cook the beans with the "trinity" of onions, bell peppers and celery. Seasoned with Cajun seasoning and cooked with beef stock, this pot of beans won me two thumbs up! The photo above shows his bowl with the beans served over crumbled up cornbread hot from the oven. He had more bean broth after I took the photo because that's the way he likes them. Give this version a try.  I think you may like them, too!

1/2 pound large limas (or butterbeans!), soaked in a bowl of cool water for a few hours and drained
1/2 pound Andouille sausage, cubed
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups beef stock
1 bay leaf
2 t. Cajun seasoning

In a medium Dutch oven, over medium heat, add sausage, onion, bell pepper, and celery. Let cook, stirring often, until sausage begins to brown and vegetables begin to soften, 8 - 10 minutes. Add garlic and let cook an additional minute or so.


Now add the beans, beef stock, Cajun seasoning, and bay leaf.


Lower heat so you will have a gentle simmer. Partially cover the pot and let everything simmer away for a few hours. Stir the beans occasionally and add additional water if needed. When the beans are tender, they are cooked through and you're ready to eat!

Don't forget to cook some of Lolly's Cornbread


 

No comments:

Post a Comment