Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Carolina (Vinegar Based) BBQ Sauce


There are dozens, if not hundreds, of BBQ sauce recipes. And, of course, they vary in relation to what part of the country you're eating BBQ.  Mesquite, smoky, thick, thin, tomato based, mustard based, and then there's my favorite:  thin vinegar based sauce.  I love the tangy taste of vinegar anytime, but pair it with my favorite version of BBQ, pulled pork, I am in heaven.

I've adapted this one from several recipes found on the web and combined and mixed and tweaked until I have it just the way I like it...I hope you like it as well!

1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup yellow mustard
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 T. olive oil
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. paprika
1/2 t. ground cayenne
2 t. ground mustard
2 t. granulated garlic
1 t. onion powder

Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Sauce will reduce some and begin to thicken. 

Allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 - 4 weeks. 

2 comments:

  1. When I don't feel like cooking. All I have to do is have some meat waiting in a bowl for the hubby. He'll say "do you want me to cook that on the grill?". Oh yes, please!

    We use the recipe that I've been making since I started BBQ'ing years and years ago when I was a teen at home.

    Melted margarine, lemon juice and a whole bunch of garlic powder, season salt, lemon pepper and worchestershire. No measurements cause it is a dump recipe. And has never been measured. Depends on how much meat we are cooking.

    You recipe looks like one I would not mind trying.

    ReplyDelete