Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Taco Tuesdays: Impossibly Easy Taco Pie


Do you remember those Bisquick "Impossibly Easy Pie" recipes from the 70s and 80s? I dug out my Bisquick cookbook and took a stroll down memory lane. One thought led to the other and I went outside the taco shell and decided this week for Taco Tuesday we'd have an Impossibly Easy Taco Pie. 

I changed a few things as I went along and will note the changes I made in the ingredient list.

1 lb. ground chuck
1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 envelope taco seasoning OR use 1 1/w T. of my taco seasoning blend 
 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles, drained OR two small jalapenos, diced 
1/2 cup Bisquick
1 cup milk
2 eggs
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or or Cheddar Cheese (I used Cheddar/Colby blend)

Toppings:
chopped tomatoes
sour cream
cilantro
salsa
lettuce

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 9 inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.

Cook beef, onion and (jalapeno if using), in a large skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.

Stir in seasoning mix.  Spread in the pie plate. Top with diced chiles if using.


Whisk together Bisquick, milk, and eggs until blended. Pour into pie plate.


Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  



Top with your favorite taco toppings.


I served Taylor Farms Southwest Chopped Salad to go alongside. The creamy cilantro dressing was fresh tasting and paired well with the green cabbage, romaine lettuce, carrots, green onions, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro.  Crunchy tortilla strips add a delicious crunch to the salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment