Monday, July 11, 2016

Andrea's Onion Rings


Each year for her birthday meal, my daughter requests onions rings. It doesn't matter if we're having Mexican food or Italian food, she still wants onion rings. I agree and then once I begin to fry them, it is an ongoing battle to keep her from sneaking "samples" one right after the other as quickly as I can cook them!

And lest you think my daughter is a young child or teenager, no. She's married with four children of her own! I love to cook these for her because I know without a doubt they are some of her favorite things.

When choosing onions for your onion rings, select the flattest, largest you can find. 

3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
3 cups buttermilk
1 - 2 T. of your favorite hot sauce
2 cups self rising flour
1 t. Creole seasoning
Peanut Oil

Mix buttermilk and hot sauce together in a large bowl. Place onion slices in buttermilk to soak for at least 30 minutes.

Combine the flour and Creole seasoning together in another large bowl.

Heat peanut oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees.

Using a fork, remove onion rings from buttermilk and dredge (a half dozen or so at a time) in flour and shake off excess.

Fry in hot oil until well browned. Drain on paper towels and lightly salt. Devour immediately.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment