Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Crockpot Pork Roast


So I bought a pork roast this week. I had no idea how I was going to prepare it or what I would serve as side dishes. This morning at 6:30 I STILL had no idea. I knew it was going in the slow cooker, but I didn't know what flavor profile to use. Mexican and add a can of Rotel tomatoes? Italian and add oregano and basil and a parmesan cheese rind? Seasoned salt and plan on BBQ plates tonight?

Granted, my brain wasn't working that well at 6:30 a.m. So, into the crock pot it went. I sprinkled it liberally with onion powder, granulated garlic, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. About a cup of water was added as well. 

10 hours later........I had a sinfully good, melt in your mouth tender, ready for anything pork roast. 

Now at this point, you can go in any direction you want. You have a deliciously blank canvas to work with here.

Mexican? You can quickly stir fry some peppers and onions, add cumin, chili powder and a can of Rotel tomatoes and you use as a filling for burritos, soft or crunchy tacos or tostadas.

Comfort food?  You can quickly make a pan gravy, a nice bowl of buttery mashed potatoes, steamed peas or green beans, and you have a great family weeknight meal.

BBQ? Shred the meat, pile it high on a bun and douse with your favorite BBQ sauce. Add baked beans and potato salad and you're good to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment