Monday, June 26, 2017

Squash Casserole


I've been making squash casseroles for more years than I can remember. I've precooked the squash by boiling, by grating and just adding to the casserole mixture, every which way. But yesterday, I told myself to forget all those methods and try something new. I believe I've found my new perfect Squash Casserole.

4 T. butter
1/3 cup diced yellow onion
2 t. minced fresh garlic
4 cups diced yellow squash
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Duke's mayonnaise
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
3/4 cup freshly grated sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 sleeve buttery crackers (Ritz), crushed
2 T. melted butter

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, stir frequently, and let cook until softened, about 2 - 3 minutes. Add garlic, squash, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently until squash has softened, 5 - 7 minutes. 

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8 x 8 or similar sized casserole dish with non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, eggs, parsley, and cheddar cheese. Fold in squash mixture until everything is well combined.

Spoon into casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with crushed crackers. Drizzle with melted butter and return to oven for 5 or 7 minutes until crackers have browned.


No comments:

Post a Comment