Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thanksgiving Memories


What do you see when you look at the picture above? A very simple platter, right? A platter you could have purchased at a neighborhood store or received as a gift.

You may have walked right past it in a thrift store, a yard sale or a flea market. It's nothing special, just a simple Thanksgiving tray.

But for me, this platter is priceless.  It was my paternal grandmother's.  I have no idea where she purchased it, or if it was a gift, or how it came into her possession. After she passed, this was one of the things that belonged to her that I was fortunate enough to receive.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. A time to reflect on all that I have been given in this life, the family I've been blessed with, the talents I've been given.

Every year, I unwrap this simple platter with its "Made in Japan" stamp on the back and carefully wash and dry and place it on my table. It waits until I have the turkey roasted and sliced and I always think of the many times my grandmother surely did the exact same thing. 

Don't take any of your serving pieces for granted. Who knows? Someday one of your family members may cherish a platter or bowl that will be used on your Thanksgiving table tomorrow!


Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!


1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful and like you said a priceless piece of your family.

    ReplyDelete