Sunday, January 27, 2019

Dining Out Southeast: Hector's Kitchen, Attalla, AL

We were ready for a second visit to Hector's Kitchen in Attalla last night. This time we took some friends along to enjoy some great Latin American food, and there was more to share and to try!

Half the table order mojitos and the other half ordered Columbian Tea which is Hector's version of a Long Island Ice Tea. Happy Hour is served from 2 - 5 p.m.  After one sip of my mojito, I wondered why I don't order them more often.  I've now found an ideal place to enjoy them! Very flavorful and FULL of mint!


Our amuse bouche (that one bite appetizer that somehow makes you ravenous!) was a stuffed mushroom. And yes, I could have made a meal of these.


I have been thinking of the potato croquettes for a week since my last visit. I wanted my friends to try them, too. The mashed potatoes are wrapped around a roasted pork and sofrito filling and then fried.  The chimichurri mayo is out of this world delicious. I want it on everything. $3.99


Diner #1 order the Cuban Sandwich with tortilla chips and queso dip.  One the specials last night was 1/2 Cuban sandwich and soup. Trust me, this is a BIG sandwich. Hector does not skimp on the pork.  Delicious slow roasted pork, ham, pickles, mustard, and then pressed to a perfect crisp on the bread.  $7.99 The queso had a medium spicy heat.  incredibly up.


Diner #2:  Coconut Wrap - slow roasted marinated pork, rice, mofongo, mango salsa wrapped in a flour tortilla, lightly pressed and topped with a homemade coconut sauce and coconut flakes.  Served with yellow rice, black beans, yucca, and black beans. You also have a choice of soup or salad  $12.99

I'm not a coconut fan, so I didn't taste this dish, but Diner #2 enjoyed.


Diner #3: Chicken Quesadilla served with sour cream and salsa $6.99.  The quesadilla was loaded with tender chicken and lots of ooey gooey cheese.  Every bite was gone!


Diner #4 (me!):  Carne Asada - thinly sliced marinated steak topped with onions and peppers served with a side of chimichurri sauce, yellow rice, and black beans.  Don't forget those delicious plantains and yucca (also a personal favorite)  $12.99 You get all this food for $12.99 PLUS a choice of soup or salad.

The marinade on the steak was extremely flavorful with a distinct taste of citrus. This was a treat for me! I enjoyed it immensely. 


Of course, you can't leave Hector's Kitchen without ordering the flan. $3.99 PLEASE give this one a try.


1 comment: