Monday, October 21, 2019

Dining Out Gulf Coast: Shipwreck Raw Bar, Port St. Joe, FL

One of our favorite spots to dine when visiting the Mexico Beach/Port St. Joe area is the Shipwreck Raw Bar.  In fact, during our recent stay at Windmark Beach, we enjoyed two different meals here.  The service is always outstanding, the food is delicious, and the seafood, in any form, is fresh from the Gulf!  I combined pictures from both our meals into this one blog post.  Instead of platters or special dinners that are offered on the menu, we enjoyed "happy hour" goodies and made full use of the extensive appetizer menu!

My personal favorite is the Wench's Crab Bisque.  Notice that the server realized that Sweet Harold would want some.  She provided two spoons!  I love small touches like that.  Now to the bisque.  The base is thick and creamy and there is an ample amount of crab.  Served HOT which is always a plus for me.  I dislike soups or food that should be served hot, to be served lukewarm.  A side of toasted garlic bread allowed me to get every drop!  Cup $5.95 - Bowl $8.95


Yummmmm.  Hot Crab Dip  baked with a special blend of cheeses and served with your choice of Flat Bread or Crostini  $10.95  This is a comfort food appetizer at its finest.  


Crab cake served with a Sriracha mayo.  As the menu states, "Crab cake 'with very little else.' "  I certainly agree with that description.  $7.95  A full dinner portion is also available for $20.95 with TWO of these large crab cakes served with garlic bread and two side items.


Now, on to the oysters!  Of course, with "raw bar" in the title, there are raw oysters on the menu.  We've enjoyed dozens of those in the past.  For this visit, however, we decided to try one of the steamed oyster variations.  These Shipwrecked Oysters are served steamed with garlic and Parmesan cheese.  Our dozen was a baker's dozen.  $16.95  The butter was still bubbling when they arrived at the table.  The garlic and Parmesan were delicious on these lovely oysters.



There are also six other steamed options along with a sampler platter where you can choose a few of each to try.

Oh boy!  Steamed shrimp.  I think I embarrassed Sweet Harold by how many of these beautiful shrimp I consumed.  

Shipwreck gives you the option of "peel and eat" steamed shrimp with a variety of seasonings.  They also (for a small charge) provide you with a choice of peeled and deveined so that when they are brought to the table, they are ready for their spritz of lemon juice and a dunk in the melted butter.

We tried two variations.  First up is simply steamed with garlic, butter and a light sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning.  Nicely peeled and cleaned, steamed just to the point of perfection.  


The next visit we tried the Steamed Cajun version.  I requested a light hand on the seasoning.  I wanted to be able to taste the shrimp, but I also appreciate a little heat.  Once again, perfection.


I can't recommend Shipwreck Raw Bar enough.  We have never had an unpleasant experience there!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, all of that looks and sounds divine. Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite eating place in the area..not to mention only 5 blocks from home when I'm @ the beach!Awesome staff which includes smiling friendly faces that I love to see🥰 I always order Grouper treasure & fish dip.. not to mention the morning crew and the wonderful breakfast they serve.. yum yum🌞

    ReplyDelete