Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Dining Out Southeast: The Rail Public House, Gadsden, AL

My hometown of Gadsden is bursting with new restaurants to try!  Today's lunch was courtesy of The Rail Public House located at 538 Broad Street right in the middle of Historic Downtown. The Rail Public House is an Upscale Pub that is family-friendly, serving upscale pub fare such as burgers, sandwiches, salads, soup, and daily specials. From reviewing their Facebook page, the daily dinner specials appear to be very special indeed.

Because I was on my lunch hour, we didn't take time to enjoy appetizers this trip, but I will definitely return when a more leisurely meal can be enjoyed.  Some of the offerings are fried pickle spears, pimento cheese, hot spinach dip, and fried pimento cheese balls served with pepper jelly.

Social distancing was apparent, and the staff wore masks. We're off to a good start!  When Sweet Harold heard the lunch specials, he changed his mind and ordered the Steakhouse Burger, and what a burger it was!


Yes, it was as impressive in person. The Steakhouse Burger was a blackened burger infused with blue cheese, topped with crispy onion straws, thick-cut bacon, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and a house-made steak sauce.  It was perfectly cooked to his requested medium doneness.  The bacon was chewy, the lettuce was crisp, and the tomato slice was ripe. The onion straws were well seasoned.  


With the side of "sidewinder fries, this was a lunch to remember.


My turn!  I wasn't in the mood for a burger, so I opted for the fried chicken sandwich and onion rings. My chicken sandwich was not going to be overshadowed by the Steakhouse Burger!

The breading was light and well-seasoned. Simply dressed with lettuce and pickles, the toasted bun was soft, and mayo was delivered at my request.  


Another picture to give you a perspective on the size of this chicken sandwich.

I'm not gonna lie...I thought about this piece of chicken topped with gravy and served with mashed potatoes......but back to the sandwich...

The onion rings were thick sliced and beer-battered. They had a good flavor and a great crunch. These were perfectly fried.


Service was prompt, and tea was re-filled just as it was needed. I appreciated that we could have this great meal and be back to work within an hour. 

We can't wait to return for a date-night dinner.  




1 comment: