Monday, October 24, 2022

Dining Out Southeast: The Biscuit Company, Vicksburg, MS

 


We spent last weekend in Vicksburg to be judges for a BBQ competition.  It's always fun to explore this historic city and even more fun to try new (to us!) restaurants.  

Saturday night's dinner was thoroughly enjoyed at The Biscuit Company in Historic Downtown Vicksburg.  The building has been the home to all sorts of businesses through its storied history such as dry goods, boots and shoes, and in 1870, Freedman's Saving Bank occupied the building and it was one of three banks in Mississippi that were chartered by Congress to see that freed slaves were given the opportunity to secure employment.  The building has also had dentists, lawyers, barbers, and a shoemaker!

I couldn't resist taking a picture of the old brick wall which was beside our table. 


When we entered the restaurant, we were warmly greeted by our host and promptly taken to our table in an upstairs dining area.  

Our server, Kayla, was responsible for several tables, but managed to keep service running smoothly.  She offered several suggestions to our questions about the menu and made sure we had extra napkins, our tea glasses were kept full, and was just a delightful addition to our dining experience.

We started our meal with an order of onion rings.  Now y'all know that I am an onion ring connoisseur.  I prefer thin, crispy rings as opposed to thick slices.  These were the best I've ever eaten outside of those I cook myself.  


We both ordered fried catfish plates with fresh cut fries.  I chose a side salad and Sweet Harold went with his usual coleslaw.  We were both pleased with our sides.  My salad was crisp and cold and the dressing was thick and rich tasting.  The slaw was mayo based and well seasoned as well.



Now to the star of the meal:  the catfish!  Each of our plates had five LARGE catfish filets which were lightly battered in cornmeal (is there any other way??) and perfectly fried.  When I say perfectly fried, I mean that.  So much so that I asked Kayla who was on the catfish fry station.  She told me the genius in charge of this culinary masterpiece's name was David.  So David, here's a HUGE shout out to you.  You know how to fry catfish!!! I had a piece left and simply could not allow myself to leave it there on my plate.  Kayla bagged it up for me and my catfish rode on ice in a cooler all the way home.  It was as delicious in Alabama as it was in the restaurant!


The hushpuppies were light and airy with onion bits in the batter just like I make them myself.  

As we were leaving we were again acknowledged by our host by the door and he was as kind in his goodbye as he was in his greeting when we arrived.  

If you're in the Vicksburg area, please plan a meal at The Biscuit Company.  You won't regret your decision!  Thanks to everyone for a wonderful evening.


1 comment: