Monday, September 11, 2023

Dining Out Southeast: Farmwald's Dutch Restaurant and Bakery, Horse Cave, KY



We were up bright and early this morning to get to Mammoth Cave for a tour.  We knew we needed a great breakfast to give us some strength for a two hour / two mile hike into the depths of the cave.  

We chose Farmwald's Dutch Restaurant in Horse Cave, KY.  There's no table service here.  You order at the counter, go fix your fountain drink or get a drink from the cooler, find a seat, and when your order is ready you go to a second counter and pick up your food.

Sweet Harold chose the Amish breakfast which consisted of biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and sausage.  He enjoyed the sausage, the eggs were "okay," and he reported the gravy was thin in his opinion.  Breakfast was served in a styrofoam to-go container.


I selected a sausage biscuit with hashbrowns.  My food was wrapped separately in foil squares.  The sausage was tasty, the biscuit was more of a bread like texture than the biscuits I'm used to (but good), and I was disappointed that the hashbrowns were merely the frozen type you can get in any grocery store.



After our cave exploration, we thought we'd give them another chance and went back for lunch.  Much better!

Sweet Harold went with the grilled ribeye sandwich with fries and coleslaw.  He was very happy with the sandwich.  The steak was tender and the homemade sourdough bread was toasted.  There was a generous serving of fries and he was well pleased with the slaw.




I had the roast beef sandwich on toasted sourdough bread, fries, and cucumber salad.




Alas, my sandwich was listed on the menu as having Swiss cheese, but as you can see, no cheese.  The bread was delicious, there was a generous serving of roast beef, and mustard and mayonnaise were available in to-go packets.  The fries needed a little salt.  But when I "salted" the fries and then ate one, I knew something was off.  I checked the salt shaker and realized there was a sticker on the salt shaker that had "sugar" written on the sticker.  ????  I have no idea why there would be sugar in a salt shaker.  

The cucumber salad with served nice and cold with a sweet vinegar dressing, diced onions, and bell pepper.  I really enjoyed this salad.

We took a fried apple pie with us to eat later.  It was good, but it wasn't my mama's fried apple pie.  I don't think I can give it a fair review.



When you finish eating, you bus your own table.  There wasn't anyone during breakfast or lunch wiping down the tables between customers.  I cleaned ours before we had lunch.  The trash containers were filled to overflowing by the time we finished with our meal.  I had to balance our trash carefully so it wouldn't be in the floor.  

My take on both experiences?  Some of the food was amazing, while other items needed a little work.  Cleanliness could be improved on a great deal.  

1 comment:

  1. with the price of eating out these days, you want a little more than this

    ReplyDelete