Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Dining Out Southeast: Ricardo's Grill and Pub, Versailles, KY


After a morning visiting the Ark Encounter, we returned to Versailles mid-afternoon ready for a late lunch.  We drove downtown and nothing caught our fancy.  Returning back in the opposite direction, we spied Ricardo's Grill and Pub.  The exterior was so neat and well kept.  The building shape and design was unique.  I later learned that it was the former Southern Railway Station.  The pine flooring in the foyer and bar area are original to the building which was built in 1855.  

We were warmly greeted and immediately seated in the bar area.  Service throughout our meal was exceptional.  The menu has a great selection of appetizers and we wanted to try the onion straws.  These were thinly sliced onion rings and served with a spicy dipping sauce.  A HUGE serving of crispy and hot onion rings.  Addictive, I tell you.


Sweet Harold decided it was his turn to enjoy some fried catfish.  Instead of a cornmeal coating, these large fillets had a light flour coating.  They were served with fries and coleslaw.  He inhaled the coleslaw before I could get a bite, so I know it met his high standard.


I had almost decided on a pasta dish and then I spied the Kentucky Hot Brown on the menu.  If you're not familiar with this sandwich, it's made with ham, turkey, bacon, and tomato on white bread then topped with a Mornay sauce and shredded cheddar jack cheese.  I've had these in restaurants before.  I've even MADE these before.  They all paled in comparison with this masterpiece.  I loved everything about this sandwich.  



My only regret is we won't be in Versailles long enough to eat there again!  I can't wait to go return.

1 comment: