Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Dining Out United Kingdom: The Felons Restaurant, Belfast, Northern Ireland

 


This morning we visited the famous Crumlin Road Goal and learned much of the storied history of the former jail.  

As we left, the rain had started (again) and we decided it was time for lunch.  We had heard great things of the local Felons Restaurant and wanted to make sure we had a meal there.  

There is much history here as well.  If you Google the story of the restaurant you can learn all about the men who started it and how in 1973 it moved to the present location.

There is a bust of Bobby Sands right inside the front door.


In the dining room, there's a beautiful stained glass portrayal of Bobby Sands and others who died during The Troubles.


We had to wait about 5 minutes for a table.  Our hostess informed us that "everyone came at once to eat!"  Once seated, Sweet Harold ordered and received his Guinness!


A browse of the menu showed a great variety of delicious sounding food!


We were both chilly from our walk, so we ordered a serving of the daily soup which was Vegetable Barley.  Oh my goodness, this was the ideal soup for this cold and rainy afternoon.


I originally ordered the lasagna, but was told they were already sold out of that.  So, I went to my Plan B and chose the Roast of the Day.  My thought was roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a vegetable.  Instead, I received this!


A base of mashed potatoes (with gravy), a layer of stuffing, two pieces of ham, two pieces of turkey (with more gravy), carrots and parsnips.....and then I turned the plate around and saw the remaining portion of my meal.


Roasted potatoes and sausages!

You must agree, there is enough food for several people on this plate!  I gave it a good try, but couldn't finish but about half.  

The sausages were delicious, I loved the roasted potato halves, and the carrots and parsnips were nicely cooked.

The turkey was moist and the ham was tender.  The potatoes and gravy were nice, but I did try to limit my intake of the potatoes even though my DNA was urging me to eat every bite. 

The stuffing (dressing) was my least favorite.  The texture was a little off for me as was the seasoning.  But, as always, I was comparing it to what I'm used to cooking and eating and not what is the custom here.  Locals here, I'm sure, would love this.

Now on to Sweet Harold's lunch.  Y'all know what he ordered without looking at this menu, right?

This time the fish was beer battered haddock.  Look at that serving!



He determined that everything was perfection with this meal and hinted that this location's Fish and Chips offering had quite possibly moved up to the #1 position on his Top 10 list for this trip!

As noted above, this place was hopping with locals this afternoon!  Service was quick and efficient, the atmosphere was truly a "local experience," and the food was comforting.

Win/Win/Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment