Monday, July 8, 2024

Cast Iron Seared Chuck Steaks with Onions

 


Our local Food City has a Pick 5 for $19.99 for select items in their store.  Last week, I "picked" 5 items and 2 of those items were chuck steaks which weighed about half a pound each.  

I had planned on grilling the steaks, but with temps in the high 90s, I changed my plans quickly.

A good ol' cast iron skillet to the rescue!  I seasoned the steaks on both sides with Kinder's French Onion Seasoning and let them rest for about 15 minutes to eliminate some of the refrigerator chill.

To cook these steaks on the stove top and get a good sear, I cooked them one at a time.  They were were thin, so it didn't take but a few minutes to sear one and then repeat with the other steak.

I used a large square Lodge cast iron skillet.  I added a tablespoon of vegetable oil and let it get to a good shimmering heat over high heat.


I let the steak sear for about a minute and then lowered the heat to medium-high.

At that point, I turned the steak over and repeated with the other side.  When it had a nice color, I placed it on a plate to wait while the other steak was prepared.



The second steak got it's turn to cook and then I drained the skillet of the oil and gave it a quick wipe to remove any "too done" bits in the bottom of the skillet.  I didn't scrape it out, but there was some of the seasoning that had cooked a little too much and I didn't want any bitter taste in the onions.

I put the skillet back on the stovetop over medium heat and added a tablespoon of butter.  Then I added a sliced large yellow onion.  Sprinkled a little of the Kinder's French Onion seasoning over the onions and let them cook down for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.


After the onions cooked down some, I placed the steaks back into the skillet over lower heat along with the juices that had accumulated on the plate.


Doesn't that look delicious?  After a few minutes of warm up in the hot skillet they were ready to serve!


How about some roasted yellow squash and zucchini?  So simple and this was the perfect side dish for the steaks.  I used two zucchini and three small yellow squash.  Simply wash the vegetables, trim the ends, and then cut into similar sized pieces.  Spread on a rimmed back sheet in a single layer, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle  with the with the Kinder's French Onion seasoning.

Place the veggies in a 375 degree F. prepheated oven and let them cook/roast for 35-40 minutes until they begin to brown around the edges.  Serve immediately.




1 comment: