Thursday, September 12, 2024

Low Carb Tortilla Lasagna

 


With this past year being extremely difficult in so many ways, I have been enjoying every carb I can!  There's a reason that so many dishes I love and consider comfort foods are full of carbs.  They're delicious!

But....the time has come to put those carbs in check for a bit.  Y'all know I love the Carb Counter tortillas.  Today, I made a pan of lasagna with pasta noodles for my nephews.  I knew I wanted a lasagna, but I couldn't afford to eat all those carbs.  I had the idea that I'd try the tortillas cut into strips to mimic the lasagna noodles.  I must say it turned out deliciously beautiful as you can see from the picture above!

I made spinach and artichoke stuffed baby portabella mushrooms and saved the stems to use in this dish.

Here's what I used and what I did!

1 lb. Italian sausage
Mushrooms (you can either chop up 4 oz. of mushrooms or use the stems from the other recipe that you saved)  
Rao's Homemade Arrabbiata Sauce (32 oz.)
3 low carb tortillas
16 oz. ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1 t. dried Italian seasoning
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a 9 x 11 inch baking dish with olive oil spray.

Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat breaking up with a wooden spoon.  Add in the chopped mushrooms and let them cook while the sausage browns.

When the sausage is cooked through, pour in the sauce and lower heat to low.  Let simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup to the bottom of the baking dish, spreading evenly.

In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, eggs, and Italian seasoning.

Cut the tortillas into strips like lasagna noodles and place enough to cover the sauce in a single layer.  

Next spoon enough sauce to cover the tortilla strips.  Evenly spread a layer of the ricotta mixture over the sauce.  Sprinkle some of the mozzarella over the ricotta mixture.

Repeat with a layer of tortilla strips, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella.  

I had three layers.  With you're finished layering, add the shredded Parmesan on top of the mozzarella.

Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes.  Remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes or so.  Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes or so before serving.


We were very happy with the result!  All the cheesy, saucy goodness of lasagna with none of the guilt of carbs!




1 comment: