Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Bear Creek Navy Bean Soup

 

It is time to start "soup season" around here!  I had a couple of packages of Bear Creek Navy Bean Soup in the pantry and a few surprise ingredients in the fridge to "add in" to make this soup even more hearty and tasty.


I'm sure this soup is delicious made exactly according to package directions.  However, I like to make these prepackaged mixes into something a little more homemade tasting.  I was cooking a pot of soup not only for the two of us, but also for my nephews.  So, for this recipe I used two packages of soup and the added ingredients in the amounts listed below.  If you're only preparing one package of the soup mix, half the ingredients I added.

2 packages Bear Creek Navy Bean Soup Mix
16 cups of water
Add ins:
1 T. olive oil
3 cups cubed ham
4 - 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 T. sherry vinegar

Bring the water to a boil in a large Dutch oven.  I used a 7 1/2 quart pot.  Whisk in the soup mix(es) and lower heat to a simmer.  

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.

Add the ham, carrots, onion, garlic, and celery to the skillet and cook 7 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  You'll want the ham and the veggies to begin to brown.  That adds a lot of flavor. 


Add the veggies into the simmering soup mix.  Let the soup cook 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the carrots are tender and the beans are done.  

Stir in the sherry vinegar just before serving.  



No comments:

Post a Comment