Sunday, August 29, 2010

Apalachicola Oysters

Everybody knows the best oysters in the world come from Apalachicola.  PCB continues to torment us with on again/off again rain, so today we decided to take a road trip to Apalacicola to get oysters straight from the source.  We settled on Boss Oysters on Water Street.  Now remember Lolly's Rule:  Always, always order the food that's in the title of the restaurant.  So not only did I order one type of oyster, I went for three.

These freshly shucked oysters were the absolute best I've ever slurped down.  Perfectly shucked with no evidence of shell anywhere.  Ice cold and naturally briny, these were perfection.




Next up for me was the oyster stew.  Yummy cream base with at least a dozen oysters in the CUP of soup. 


True to his nature, Sweet Harold picked the grouper chowder which was topped with green onions and bacon.  He agreed the oyster stew was the better one.


I was on a roll with the oysters, so the fried oyster basket was up next.  28 fried oysters in the basket order.  I can't imagine how many would have been on the dinner portion.  They were perfectly seasoned and perfectly crispy/crunchy.  I can't comment on the fries or cole slaw because there was no way I was going to spare a spot in my tummy with silly generic curly fries, you know?


Sweet Harold ordered the grilled grouper.  Once again, he said my choice was better than his.  You'd think he'd learn!  He ate my slaw portion and reported it was very fresh tasting and mayo based.  He liked it. 


Perfect afternoon spent on the Apalachicola River eating the best oysters they had to offer.  4 forks out of 5 based on so-so (but typical) side choices.  

1 comment:

  1. When is he gonna learn?! :D I wish I could indulge in some good oyster eating! Good to know they weren't ruined!

    ReplyDelete