Sunday, August 29, 2010

Birthday Dinner at Firefly

I was completely intrigued with Firefly's website.  http://www.fireflypcb.com/  It didn't take but a few minutes on the website to know this is where I wanted to celebrate my birthday.  Made reservations for 8 p.m. and when we arrived the restaurant was filled to the brim.  We had a great table in the dining room in full view of sparkly lights in the oak tree.  If you watched closely, you could see fireflies in the branches.  Just beautiful.



Our server introduced himself, apologized for any wait we had (actually we were ushered through the crowd directly to our table) and we told him this was a birthday dinner and we just wanted to take our time. 

He encouraged us to try the She-Crab Soup with Puff Pastry and Sherry.  Sweet Harold and I discussed trying different kinds, but we couldn't resist the pull of the She Crab Soup.  This soup almost defies description.  Smooth and creamy it was like drinking velvet.  I know, but that's the best way I can describe the texture. I'm still thinking about it, but I seriously think this may have been The Best Thing I Ever Ate.  Seriously. This would be my last meal item on death row.


The bread was just an average crusty loaf with three different topping choices:  Pineapple Butter, an herbed cream cheese and a Roma tomato mixed with olive oil, basil and oregano.   With my dislike of pineapple, I didn't try that one, but Sweet Harold said it was tasty.  We both liked the other two equally, but the herbed cream cheese spread was a little heavy on the garlic.


You can take the Lolly out of the South, but you'll never take the South out of Lolly.  As soon as I saw shrimp and grits on the menu, I knew I'd have to taste Chef Paul's version.  HUGE Gulf shrimp wrapped in applewood smoked bacon served over stone ground cheese grits with red eye gravy.  Yes, I chose wisely. 


Sweet Harold will almost always choose Grouper in some version if it's on the menu.  Tonight was no exception.  His choice:  Sauteed Gulf Grouper served over shallots, fresh corn, grape tomatoes, sherry cream and jumbo lump crab sauce with a haystack of potatoes.  Absolutely beautiful isn't it?


Then, the grand finale:  white chocolate creme brulee.  Perfect pairing of the creamy white chocolate and vanilla custard and the delicate crunch when my spoon broke through the caramelized sugar topping.


Dinner at Firefly easily earns 5 out of 5 forks......with a spoon thrown in for another bowl of the She Crab Soup!

1 comment: