Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pompanos

Pompanos was the restaurant of choice on Wednesday night.  I was excited to be able to try their whole grilled pompano which Beach TV has been tempting me with all week.  Well, we all know about the Lolly Luck.  Our server explained that they were all out of pompano, but if I could come back Friday night they'd have some then.  Well, that would be a 6 1/2 hour drive for dinner so I don't think that's going to happen.

I asked for his recommendation from the entire menu.  But more on that later.

Sweet Harold had been hungry for sushi and Pompanos had been voted Best Sushi on the beach.  He ordered the yellow fin tuna nigiri.  He reported that it was good, but not the best he had ever eaten.


Salads were a spring mix blend with mandarin orange slices.  I had the balsamic vinaigrette (which tasted suspiciously like Ken's Brand of dressings) and Sweet Harold had the ranch with feta.  So-so salads.

Choice of the night for Sweet Harold was grilled mahi-mahi served alongside roasted garlic mashed potatoes.  He thoroughly enjoyed both of these.


After the no-pompano-available news, I decided I'd jump on the grouper fish wagon.  Paneed grouper topped with jumbo lump crab meat and Bearnaise sauce.  I chose garlic mashed potatoes as well.


This was an excellent substitute dinner for the pompano.  I had one of those plate scraping ("There's more in the kitchen, Scarlett") moments....but at least I wasn't as obvious as she was.  If you don't know what I'm talking about you need to go watch Gone With the Wind again.

We seldom order dessert, but our server said the Key Lime Pie would change the way we look at Key Lime Pie forever.  Really?  Bring it on then.


Do you see how thick this slice of pie is?  Do you think we ate all of this?  Half is in the refrigerator right now waiting to be an afternoon snack.  It held up to our server's claim.  I definitely won't look at the typical wimpy slices of Key Lime Pie the same.

Fun, relaxed meal....if the salads had been a little more unique and I could have ordered the pompano, we would have had a higher score....meal as it was...4 out of 5 forks.

No comments:

Post a Comment