Friday, April 20, 2012

Rosemary Biscuits


As regular readers of the blog know, I don't claim to be very successful when it comes to biscuit baking. Yeast rolls? Yes, ma'am. Cornbread? Oh yeah. I have those down. Biscuits? Not so much.

So explain to my why I thought it was a great idea to attempt Rosemary Biscuits on Easter Sunday. I dunno, but I'm glad I did. These were delicious. 

Thanks to Southern Living for the recipe.

3 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup shortening, chilled
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 T. chopped fresh rosemary

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk, whipping cream and rosemary, stirring with a fork until the ingredients are moistened. Dough will be soft.

Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times. Pat or roll dough to 1 inch thickness; cut with a floured 2 inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and cool slightly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment