Friday, March 15, 2013

Alabama Eggs Benedict (2 ways)



I love making Eggs Benedict for breakfast. I adore hollandaise sauce. But tonight I thought I'd make the Alabama version. I started with a Grands Biscuit instead of an English Muffin. Then I fried up some bacon and pork belly instead of Canadian Bacon or ham. To top that, I added some over easy fried eggs instead of poached eggs.   And instead of the hollandaise sauce I adore, Sweet Harold made some of us famous gravy.  
Of course, you can't eat this every day or you'll be in danger of, well, lots of health issues.  But for a once in a blue moon breakfast, enjoy.
First, fry your bacon and/or pork belly and set is aside.  Then fry the egg.
Then bake some Grands biscuits following the package directions while you fry the eggs.
After the eggs are fried, time to make the gravy:
Drain all but 4 T of bacon grease from the skillet.  Over medium high heat, add 1/4 cup of self-rising flour and some black pepper to taste, stirring constantly until it has browned.
Then add 2 cups of milk, continuing to stir constantly:

Let the gravy cook until thickened and bubbly:

Remove from heat and pour into a medium bowl:
Now let's assemble:
Take a biscuit and split in half and put a layer of either bacon or pork belly:

Then top with a fried egg and spoon some gravy over the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment