Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cranberry Salsa


I always make cranberry sauce from whole berries for Thanksgiving. Sometimes I add nuts, sometimes a tablespoon or so of orange juice, occasionally cinnamon.  But this year, I thought more about the leftover turkey sandwiches and what I would like to have as an accompaniment to those delicious bites of yumminess......where was I?  Oh yes, the cranberries.

Anytime I drift off in daydream land regarding leftover turkey sandwiches, my mind does wander.

This is DEFINITELY not your "grandmother's cranberry sauce from a can with the rings still visible when it's plopped out onto a plate" variety.

Make it a day or two before your meal to let the flavors meld together. You're welcome. No really, you'll thank me.

1 - 12 oz. package fresh cranberries
1 T. orange zest
1 navel orange, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
3 T. coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Pulse cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl.

Pulse orange zest and next five ingredients in food processor 3 to 5 times or until orange, ginger and pepper are finely chopped. Stir in cranberries. Cover and chill 24 hours.

From Southern Living November 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment